Click the appropriate link on the drop-down menu bar, first choosing the language (Bengali or English) and then the genre or category you want. For each category (Poems and Songs, Drama, Fiction, Non-Fiction) the bibliography is presented in two ways:A. Item-wise display
- Here, the opening page provides
- a display of all initial letters of titles. Click on the letter you want, and then the particular title. A pop-up window will open with full bibliographical data about the title.
- a box in which you can key in the title you want. A click will then open the same pop-up window with full data.
- Click on the title of a version in the pop-up window to access the image of that version (plus transcription in case of manuscripts).
- The default display of Poems and Songs is by title. Use the radio buttons on the left to sort them by first line, or by their grouping in the Collected Works (Rabindra-Rachanabali). For non-fiction, use the radio buttons to sort according to their grouping in the Collected Works (Rabindra-Rachanabali).
- In English titles, ‘A’, ‘An’ and ‘The’ have been considered in the alphabetization: i.e., titles beginning with these words are listed under A ort T respectively.
- Where an English poem does not have a title, the first line has been included in the Index of Titles as well as the Index of First Lines.
We regret that a final batch of images of printed material (books and journals) from Rabindra-Bhavana was not made available to us. Some of the gaps have been filled through the kind co-operation of other partner institutions. However, a number of gaps remain despite our best efforts.B. Full display of all titles in that genre/category
This opens like a spreadsheet. The cells carry the following icons:
- In the left column, against the title: the collation icon . Click to access the collation program.
- In each cell:
- For manuscripts:
- above the manuscript number, the icon to open the filtered or final text of that manuscript version (ignoring changes, deletions, insertions etc.)
- below the manuscript number, the icon to open the image and the full transcription (showing all changes, deletions, insertions etc.)
- For printed texts:
- the icon to access the image
- the icon to access the plain text.
- the icon to access additional information, if any (e.g., special details about a manuscript, or instalment division of serial publications)
- For manuscripts:
- If there are no icons in any cell, it indicates we have not been able to obtain the images of that particular version, hence cannot provide any transcription or collation either.
- To see all the poems in a Bengali poetical collection (Kari o Komal, Manasi, Sonar Tari etc.), go to ‘Bibliography: Alphabetical Index’ and select the volume using the ‘Book’ radio button and click on the volume title. A new table will open comprising all the poems in that volume. Any poem can then be accessed by clicking on the appropriate icons.
- To see all the poems in an English poetical collection (Gitanjali, The Crescent Moon, Crossing, Fruit-Gathering, Lover’s Gift etc.) go to ‘Bibliography: Full Table’, locate and click on the volume title. A list of all poems in the volume will appear in a pop-up window. Any poem can then be accessed through ‘Bibliography: Alphabetical Index’.
- In addition, full details of all English writings can be obtained from the Master List.
Each genre in the Bengali: Integrated Checklist has a third item – ‘Additional Lists’. These include alternative or associated titles of works listed in the Bibliography under the title in the Visva-Bharati Rachanabali (Collected Works).
To search for an alternative title in these lists (e.g., ঝড়ের খেয়া for the poem beginning দূর হতে কী শুনিস, or ভারত-তীর্থ for the poem beginning হে মোর চিত্ত), press CTL+F (P.C.) or CMD+F (Mac) and type the title you want in the box that will open up. The browser will go to that specific title and highlight it.
For Bengali fiction, there is also a list of the contents of each short-story volume.D. Timeline
The Bengali: Integrated Checklist has a Timeline which shows the dates of publications of journals and book-length volumes chronologically.
- Click on the year or month in the opening page of this section. This opens a pop-up window showing, genre by genre, the titles published in that month or year. Click the boxes in the top left and right corners of this window to go to the previous or following month/year.
- Click on the 'Search' button at the top of the page to open a toolbar. Choose a genre. Then choose a title from that genre to see its publication details alongside.
We regret that a final batch of images of printed material (books and journals) from Rabindra-Bhavana was not made available to us. Some of the gaps have been filled through the kind co-operation of other partner institutions. However, a number of gaps remain despite our best efforts.
Advice: Use the full display of all titles to access the entire range of data concerning that title. Use the item-wise display for quick access to information on publication history plus the text of each version.